Sunday, March 9, 2014

A new toy and twist for this blog

Above it All


As many old readers of this blog know, I've taken the original content private.  That is going to remain the same for my personal content, but now I have a new 'toy' and will be posting the results I get from that toy for your enjoyment.

Enter the DJI Phantom 2 Vision.  Its a Quadcopter with a bunch of technology and a built in camera.  A number of other bloggers and Thailand reporters use the same or similar setup for their reporting and posts.   A number of reporters covered the recent protests in Bangkok by posting pictures from up high.   Now, I will be joining that list and hope to bring some additional content from the land of smiles from above that might be of interest to readers of this blog.

The Phantom 2 Vision display ad.  Link to website here.

Having just got the camera before my return to BKK this week, I was a bit nervous taking it out for its test flight three days ago.  But the technology in the Phantom and my years of expert aerial sports kiteflying hand/eye coordination skills (just kidding) made the learning curve very rapid.  Soon I was doing soft landing and even catching the quadcopter in my hands to land.  To date, only one crash in over 25 flights - the single crash totally my fault as I didn't see a kite line and flew right into it, knocking the prop.  It fell about 30 feet, but luckily into the sandy beach below.  No harm, but lots of sand to blow out and it was gtg for the rest of the day.

Flying the drone at the kite event was a challenge as there were constant 15-20 MPH winds.  As you can tell from the video, there was quite a bit of shaking due to the wind which makes the need for a high tech gimbal my next priority.

Sample photo and video from this weekend's Cha Am International Kite Festival.





video

video



More later as I get more familiar with this new toy.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you are thinking or upset about!

Stat Counter