Wednesday, May 28, 2014

3 days to go...

Just three days left on this side of the bookend.  On the other side awaits many changes and lots of joy and surprises.  I'm leaving a 'democratic' government and going to a junta controlled government, but it doesn't worry me one bit.  Its far too long down the experience stream for me to see many differences.  In fact,  I think the big mango is a lot safer now with the change.  Walking in the morning through Lumphini Park will no longer be between demonstrator tents and checkpoints and hoping a random explosion won't catch me in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Traffic will be its normal crowded self through areas that I often pass, the malls are all open, and even the immigration office at Cheang Wattana is going to reopen in a week. There are no random mass killings here like in SoCal and I won't be taking my life in my hands when I go out late at night.   Life goes on in the big mango. 

As always, the media, especially the ones from the west, has tried to sensationalize the situation in order to obtain or extend stories where there are none.  Knowing how the media is so biased and used as a propaganda tool here in the West gives me no confidence in the journalistic integrity of those reporting the news.  Yes, there was a coup, and just because many countries, especially those from the West, don't like it, it doesn't matter.  The only thing that matters is the King endorsed the action  and the majority of the Thai people seem to be OK with what is going on.  After all, its their country and they live here so its up to them how they want things done.  

When I studied journalism back in school, we were taught to take an objective and impartial view of any news story, making sure we address the essentials such as who, what, when, where, etc....We were reporting the news, not making the news.  I do believe that freedom of the press referred to objective reporting and not 'editorial' reporting.  

And now the Social Media war is in full swing.  With its advent, there is even more opportunity for abuse. Information on the internet is totally unedited, un-verified, and the author may not even be known.  A Facebook problem today (or maybe even a shutdown) in the LOS caused a brief panic to those who plan their very existence around this application.  Twitter, line, and Instagram..tweets, stickers, and photos...get after the minds of the those who have no other source of information of reality.  Time to wake up and connect to the 'real world'.

 Random Acts Org Website
Click on logo above for link to website

Lastly, I want to share a website and blog that is an inspiration to my life and how I view the opportunities we all have to make a difference in the 'real world'.  There is no shortage of people in need of help in the real world.  Words on paper can change the world from a journalist's viewpoint, but I believe that if we all took the opportunity to do simple acts of kindness to those who share this planet with us, the world would change a lot more than that can be accomplished with words alone.

"The best portion of a good man’s life. His little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love.”

—William Wordsworth


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you are thinking or upset about!

Stat Counter

Music