Thursday, August 28, 2014

Its finally over...


Newly dedicated Spirit House at Marina Palms

Less than 24 hours ago, it was just a slab

We now have a fully blessed and dedicated Spirit House on the resort.  After nearly 24 hours of non-stop activity and a nearly three hour ceremony, everything is now supposed to be 'perfect'.  My day started at 5:30AM when I normally get up for my walk.  Today, B tells me I must be ready by 8AM for the start of the ceremony and be dressed in white. Just realized it was 28th day of the 8th Month at 8AM - very good choice by the astrologer.   B had been up since 3AM running to the market and preparing various items of food for the ceremony and the guests.




I will be the first to say that I didn't understand most of the ceremony as they were chanting in Thai, Pali, and other ancient roots of Hindu.  It contained some interesting parts like shattering new coconuts on the ground with the arrival of the spirits, tossing flower pedals for wealth, and food offerings which included pig's heads. The team that led us through the ceremony were really devoted and patient as they helped B and I through the process, I have to say that we became really good friends at the end.  

Anyway, here are some of the pictures.  The Astrologer knows what she is doing...it was predicted to rain today, but not a drop during our ceremony and just now, the sun came out.  As is all things Thai, to fully understand Thai culture, when given the chance,  its best to fully participate and live it out in reality rather than just reading about it.  It was a beautiful experience and one that I will always remember as we move forward in our ventures here in the LOS.  I will see the spirit house every morning when I leave the resort and remember how it was built and dedicated.  It will be here long after I am gone and hopefully will make someone's life richer and more successful.  



The high priestess/astrologer prepares to call down the spirits



A young monk is used as the medium and is possessed 


Spirits are invited to feast and see their new spirit house

The land is purified with prayers and chants



The lord of success is called upon to come down
to our resort

At that moment, they said the sun came out for a brief time

The coconuts are shattered symbolically to show success raining down from above

Marina takes this all in stride


Ganesh is finally on his throne

the ladies decorate and dress up the spirit house

Our land's guardian and lord of success







Hopefully I can head back to the big mango tomorrow in time for the buffet, but things have a habit of changing very quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you are thinking or upset about!

Stat Counter