Tuesday, December 2, 2014

She's here!

The 560SL arrived today from Florida.  Got a call in the morning that the car would be delivered in the afternoon, and lo and behold, at 2:30 PM the truck rolls up and unloads the car on the street next to the condo.  I then did the walk-through, checking for dents and scratches against the bill of landing and all was well.  Paid the drivers and was given the keys and possession on the street behind the truck.  

Took me a while to figure out all the controls -- for example, I couldn't figure out where the parking brake release knob was located.  Finally, I pulled out the owner's manual and found it - right on the dash!  Anyway, I got settled in and then went to the gas station to fill up.  Got sticker shock...$60 to fill up.  Had to buy the good stuff (Premium grade 91) and this car has a huge tank.  My CRV costs only about 1/2 of that to fill up since it has a smaller tank and uses the cheapest grade of gas.  But  I knew beforehand, this car is not going to save me money, but instead give me that special (priceless) feeling when driving down the road.  In other words, its a gas guzzler. 

The car is in pretty good shape for being 25 years old and matches the condition represented by the dealer.  After filling up, I took it immediately to a smog test station and it passed the California Smog Test on the very first try.  It had only one owner prior to the dealer buying it and flipping it for a quick profit.  

Anyway, there is one area that I need to get checked out.  The steering is a bit loose, so I think some kind of steering system overhaul, alignment or suspension tuning is in order.  The car is quite driveable, its just not up to my standards for this kind of car.  The steering should be crisp and firm, with less than 3/4 inch of play.  But it is an older car with over 100K miles so it may be time for minor restoration.  Yep...I can see the $$$$$$ disappearing already..........

Velda in her new stall...poor CRV she is parked in the outside lot now.

Now, all I will need is to take it to the DMV for a Vehicle Verification inspection and I will be ready to get it fully registered on Wednesday.  Bought insurance over the weekend with Geico online and got my certificate printed immediately after payment.  Much cheaper than I thought for this old a car.

The car also has a name now.  Settled on Velda, since its a German car and a German girl's name is only appropriate.  Vanna in the LOS, Velda in California...how lucky can one guy get?  

Velda

The name Velda is a baby girl name.

Rate this name:

This name has 0 vote.
German Meaning: 
The name Velda is a German baby name. In German the meaning of the name Velda is: Power; rule.
American Meaning: 
The name Velda is an American baby name. In American the meaning of the name Velda is: Power; rule.
Teutonic Meaning: 
The name Velda is a Teutonic baby name. In Teutonic the meaning of the name Velda is: Inspired intelligence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you are thinking or upset about!

Stat Counter

Music