Thursday, April 30, 2015

Interesting Couple of days at the Golf Tournament


After two fun days working at the golf tournament in the City, its great to get a day off.  The job was one of challenges as well, especially the first day when temperatures quickly dropped from the 80s to the low 50s with a 10-15 mph wind.  Chill factor then became an issue as it felt like it was in the 40s. The official uniforms they provided was not warm enough for such dips and so for many of us, it was a scramble to get some more layers from the gift shop in order to cope.



My duties the first day was interesting.  It included covering the disabled guest access area, the first aid trailer, shuttling players from the driving range back to the clubhouse, and being a runner for the Nike and Taylormade equipment trailers.  I was driving by the driving range when I ran into my old teaching pro from Thailand.  Many years ago, when I first started playing golf, my friends introduced me to a young teaching pro who was the caddy for Thongchai Jaidee.  Jaidee was just starting out on the tours (Asian and European Tour) and was having success and advancing in his world ranking.   After some twists and turns in life,  they are back working together again and Jaidee has moved inside the world top 50.  He a bit of a national hero as no other Thai pro has gone so far in their careers.  He looked great during his range session and it was good to talk with Pro Arm and catch up on things.


It warmed up a bit yesterday and my day went better.  Just a few minutes after starting my shift, and as I was making a exploratory circuit around the course, I was commandeered by the police department to drive the Mayor of San Francisco and his entourage to the opening ceremonies.  It caught me and my boss by surprise as it wasn't planned.  The cops just came up and said, we are  having you and your cart drive the Mayor to the opening ceremonies from the Clubhouse.  The tournament director over there said it was OK.  So I ended up driving Mr. Lee to the ceremonies and got a close look at the ceremonies from ground level next to the staging area.  Had to wait to drive him back, but he decided to walk back so he could interact with the spectators (much to anxiety of his body guards and the police protecting him).  Unfortunately, no pics as cameras were not allowed yesterday.

I'm off today and have a lot of things to catch up on.  Tomorrow thru Sunday, I have all day shifts and the tournament will finally kick into gear.  With match play, anything can happen so I expect to see an underdog come out on top.  

Lastly, my last post was made before I found out about the Baltimore riots.  Its a stark example of how close we are to very edge of chaos.  The agitators are trying to spread these demonstrations and any future incidents and riots nationwide.  If they are successful,  TEOWAWKI, is coming soon, very soon.  Come out to the golf tournament and at least enjoy yourself while you still can........







No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you are thinking or upset about!

Stat Counter

Music