Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Sticker Shock

$25 bucks for a pack of oxtails at Costco.  Premium gas over $3 again, $20 for some cans of corned beef, and CA redemption for those little plastic containers that dairy yogurt drinks come in.  Needless to say, I didn't buy 1/2 of the stuff I wanted...could afford it, but couldn't stomach the prices after living in the land of smiles for so long.  When I go shopping in the mango, its seldom that I spend over 2000 baht at stores like Makro or Big C.  For that amount, I would get a whole shopping cart full of groceries and household goods.  Today, for just a few items that I carried in two bags, I paid $94 USD.  Groceries for just over a week, and that didn't include fruit or drinks (I will go to Target for those).  

$3 for a 1/2 ripe pineapple vs 10 baht (32 cents)  for half of a pineapple that is freshly sliced and chilled is such a stark contrast that it makes me cringe.  Or how about $1.49 for five bananas when I can get a whole big bunch at Big C for less?  

I can't wait to get back home.

Tomorrow through Sunday,  I will be working at the Cadillac World Golf Championships Match Play tournament at Harding Park.  It will be my fourth tournament as a volunteer, having worked the President's Cup and US Open during the last couple of years.  Its a great way to get a behind the ropes perspective of golf tournaments and a cheap way to attend an event that will televised around the Nation.  Its a golf enthusiast's opportunity to see the pros play in person.  Weather is supposed to be great this week with unseasonably warm temps in the 70s and 80s for the area.  

Will get some pictures for posting tomorrow as cameras will not be allowed during the competition rounds later in the week.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you are thinking or upset about!

Stat Counter

Music