Monday, October 17, 2016

Black Clothing going at a premium

B called me today and said she was going out shopping for black clothing at the evening market tonight.  She had been out at the markets and stores all day with no luck and only had a couple of items in her closet and they were not all black.  Due to the King's passing, black clothing has been scarce.  People are wearing black and white for the one month mourning period and government employees and officials are expected to wear mourning clothes for up to a year.  Since the death was quite sudden, it overwhelmed the available supply of most shop owners.


As I understand it, many of the events and entertainment venues will also be closed until mid-November. That would be unprecedented, but for the last 70 years, there hasn't been a death of a monarch in Thailand.  For most of the Thais, this is the first time to live through the death of their King and the mourning period will be seriously observed.

My schedule calls for me to be in the mango in about 2 weeks.  That means that it would be a good idea to bring some black clothing with me as it not hard to get sizes that fit me here.  As for some of my friends visiting later in the month or early next month, be prepared as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you are thinking or upset about!