Friday, December 16, 2016

Busy Days ahead

With only about six days left, things are starting to get hectic.  But throughout this period, what keeps me going is that I'm going to try to get back as soon as physically possible and when I get back, I am going to be better than when I left.   While I have little or no symptoms of my heart valve problem, I want to be worry free and physically up to raising two very active little girls.  So I go back on this trip not really having a specific return date, but only the hope of getting back ASAP.  It all depends on my recovery period and assuming no complications from the surgery.


I try to keep things optimistic for the family and tell them, and myself, that its a minor 'tune-up' for my heart.  But the reality is that its surgery to one of the most important organs of the body.  While the positive outcomes are in the 99.9% range, its not totally risk free.  My only consolation is that the repairs are going to extend my survival rate from this condition so that it no longer will be a risk factor in my old age.  I'm sure there will be other things that pop up as we are no longer spring chickens by any means.


If its hard for me, its even more so for those being left behind.  So I am making the best of our time remaining in the next few days.  Likely a little trip down to the beach Sunday or just some quiet time together being close.  Why go to the US for the operation?  For one, I can have it covered by Medicare and my supplemental insurance which I am paying for every month.  Its a benefit I am entitled to, after working 30 years and paying insurance premiums all that time.  Second, I have a choice of some of the best cardiology care in the world available.  Still trying to decide if I am going to have the procedure done in Kalifornia or go all the way to Cleveland to have it done at the #1 rated Cleveland Clinic.  More research is needed and if what I have is not that complicated, it will likely be in Kalifornia.


To change the subject, Rogue One in 4DX was pretty good.  Bit of comic book corny and lots of fighting action and cool special effects - which is perfect for Star Wars fans like myself. The story line ties back into the first Star Wars movie, Episode VII and you will see some flashes of characters that will be part of that original episode in this movie - (how many can you see?)  The 4DX during the fight scenes really puts one into the action and one can feel the flight sensation, the blows and crashes, and crossfire during the shootout scenes. Its not easy to find a 4DX theater in the USA as there is only one in Los Angeles.  So if you are here in the next few weeks, take the plunge and go to one of many here in the big mango.  Its really a neat experience to try at least once - the cost is only 600 baht or just slightly more than the standard ticket price in US theaters.

I was a bit disappointed that there wasn't a bigger opening promo at the theater.  No storm troopers and Darth Vader like last time for selfies, etc.  Guess they knew this one is gonna make a lot of money with no need for any promos.  

Today's plan is for some shopping at Khlong Tom market/ Chinatown for some grab bag and stocking stuffers.  Have to do all my Christmas shopping before I get back either online or locally as there is no time remaining when I get to Kalifornia.

Lastly, I hope to make the free buffet tonight.  But if not, definitely a good foot massage.  Want to hang out a bit before going back to Kalifornia and hold on to those good memories...555

3 comments:

  1. May want to look into Dr. Devi Shetty in your research on the best cardiology doctors in the world. I saw a recent Al Jazeera documentary reporting about an American heart patient who looked into having his heart valve surgery done at the reknown Cleveland Clinic but ultimately opted to have the surgery done by Dr. Devi Shetty in India.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it looks like Dr Shetty is one special cardiology surgeon - Both in his expertise and skill as well as his work with the poor in India which require medical treatment. 14,000 surgeries is a heck of a lot of experience. One reason I chose to return to the USA and go to the Cleveland Clinic is that my Medicare and Insurance will cover all the expenses for the treatment. Cleveland Clinic also has Robotic assisted surgery available which was one of my desires. If cost and logistics was not an object, Dr. Shetty would definitely be on my short list. Currently, I'm trying to get an appointment with Dr. A. Marc Gillinov, but prior to doing so, I need to collect all my test data from my current Cardiologist for them to review. He is one of the top surgeons in the country and an expert in mitral valve repair - with thousands of procedures successfully performed.

    But just getting back 2 days ago, and into the teeth of the Christmas season here, its nearly impossible to get things done quickly.

    Thanks for the info on Dr. Shetty. Might really be handy for some other readers who have a similar requirement, who aren't constrained by coverage restrictions, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Shetty was also the personal physician to Mother Teresa. This may have influenced him in his work with the poor in India.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you are thinking or upset about!