Thursday, December 29, 2016

Missing Home...a lot

Title says it all.  I'm missing home a lot.



Aside from the differences in weather, I miss the family.  Keeping in touch via LINE video helps a lot but at times, the internet connection is not that great and we get some clipping.  The clipping is not due to the connection in the LOS, but here in the condo in Kalifornia.  I realized this morning my connection here had only a 2.5 MB download speed - and that was the maximum I could get from AT&T for this location.  Thank goodness they have installed Google fiber in the area and we can get Webpass for $60 per month which provides 100 MB download speed. Webpass is a small company that specializes in urban internet service, but it was acquired by Google to promote their fiber network.  Their story of entry into our market here. I made an appointment for the first week of next year to have it installed, but $60 a month is not cheap by any standard but it will allow me to finally stream movies and other content from the internet.  


Also the good news is that I was able to get an appointment with my local cardiologist today.  He had a cancellation so I was able to fill the slot for this afternoon.  This cardiologist has been terrific, however he is not a surgeon but his data is going to be used for the team at Cleveland Clinic.

That's it for now.  More tomorrow after the Dr's visit.


4 comments:

  1. Sevenwinds,

    If you haven't done so already, you may want to consider upgrading your wireless router to a dual band router. Dual band routers have the capability to transmit on the 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz wireless band. The 5 GHz band has less interference than the 2.4 GHz for transmission, especially for applications like video streaming and gaming which are more sensitive to packet loss and delays.

    Geo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been using dual band routers for a while now and have them in both the Land of Smiles and here in Kalifornia. In fact, I upgraded my router here to a gigabit speed model (Netgear AC1750) with the installation of Webpass. I did the same when they installed fiber at the resort and at the condo last month. My old router was also dual band, but it was provided by AT&T.

    With this last addition, I have fiber going to all three places where I access the internet now...finally up to speed at all locations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sevenwinds,

      Sounds like you are getting the fastest connections available on both bookends. I have had problems streaming videos until I upgraded to a dual band router. From what I've heard, the 2.4 GHz band is more susceptible to interferences from other wireless devices such as cordless phones, older Bluetooth devices, and even microwave ovens.

      Best of luck with your heart valve surgery and Gung Hei Fat Choi!

      Geo

      Delete
  3. Thanks Geo,
    Have a great New Year as well!...

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you are thinking or upset about!

Stat Counter