Friday, June 2, 2017

Beginning to like this Uber service...a lot!

For the longest time, I've never used Uber because I never needed to.  I had my own car, could drive, and knew my way around.  Since I had my surgery, I've started using Uber, first in Cleveland and now in Kalifornia.  My conclusion is that it works really well.  

My rides are usually here within 10 minutes, but many times even shorter with an average of around 5 minutes.  The prices are a lot cheaper and I found that the cars and the drivers are nice.  I got rides to the blood lab yesterday and back and paid less that $4 USD each way using their 'pool' vehicles. That compared to a $14 taxi ride back from the doctor's office because I forgot to bring my smartphone for the visit.

Uber also has a competitor in the area called lyft and I am going to sign up in case something happens and I can't get a hold of them.  A backup is always a good thing to have.

The recovery is going well, I walked 5,768 steps yesterday which is almost near my goal of 6,000 steps by the beginning of next week.  That is almost 2 miles if each step is two feet or more, which I think it is. The highest step count was on Tuesday when I walked over 9,000 steps on the IKEA/Target trip and then the next day I was tuckered out and only had 1724 steps.

In regards to pain management, I am using only Tylenol and Tylenol PM (for sleep) - one 500 mg pill every 4-6 hours.  Remembering my hernia surgery, I know not to be macho and fight the pain when that does very little to speed your recovery.  Its better to be comfortable so that you can rest, exercise, and eat.  That will do more to help one recover than being a macho man in pain. According to the data I am doing extraordinary well in the recovery process - thanks to my work on getting as fit as possible prior to the surgery.

Lastly, I talk with B and the kids everyday.  I miss them a lot but they understand the situation and only ask that I come home as soon as possible.  Marina is going to preschool every morning and is already getting fully adjusted.  Sometimes, she is hard to wake up in the morning, so when I called yesterday she was snoozing in the car on the way to school.  Plans are to be back in the Land of Smiles on the second week of July.  Hope to catch up with some of the guys and some of you readers in the LOS if you are visiting at that time!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Craig, I'm a friend of BKK, Jerry introduced us back in 2000. I just wanted to chime in concerning Uber. It's not all that it's safe as it's made to sound. Since your riding in a persoanl vehicle the passages are uninsured. So if you are injuried in a accident, your on your own. This is one of the reason the ride is so cheap! Your riding uninsured, because the owner is operating as a uninsured business. Your a customer, not a friend or a relative. ...Something to think about! Glad to here you had a successful operation. I hope to meet up with you sometime in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info. I was looking at various articles on that as well and the information seems to be all over the map regarding coverage. For example, see the following link: https://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=37714 It says that Uber has a one million dollar policy protecting its passengers and drivers.

      Delete

Tell me what you are thinking or upset about!

Stat Counter