Sunday, July 16, 2017

Blogging at 30,000 feet

Somewhere over the Pacific, half way between SFO and Taiwan, this blog is being composed and distributed.  Can't imagine how fast this technology has moved in recent years.  It wasn't that long ago when emails were considered strange and most people didn't think of why they would even need one.  Facebook hadn't been invented yet cause Zuckerberg was still in diapers running around somewhere.  And in those days, we had to pay to go into the various internet shops around the reservation to share a computer that was connected to this mysterious network called the world wide web.

Now for a measly $20 bucks you can have service on your flight across the Pacific and surf to your heart's delight.  How is the service?  In a short word:  primitive.  Here is the speed data that I just ran on the network:

Its basically ADSL levels

For those that have to stay in touch, its barely enough.  For those bored out of their minds with 15 hours to kill, its a cheap price to stay plugged in and entertained.  

Things went smoothly at SFO.  The lines were not too long, but this flight segment is full.  Looks like every seat was taken and thus I did not get my business class upgrade even though I was on the waiting list and ready with my mileage.  For dinner tonight, we had Sirloin braised with red wine and served with veggies and red potatoes.  Not a bad meal and it was tasty.  They even gave us sandwiches a few minutes ago to tie us over until breakfast.

That's all for now as I'm going to try my mobile phone to see if I can use line to make a call.  It might work, but I bet the service and voice quality will be pretty bad.  More from Taiwan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you are thinking or upset about!

Stat Counter